Sunday, December 10, 2006

It's Beginning to Look a "Little" Like Christmas...

We are about as prepared for Christmas this year as San Diego is prepared for a 3 foot snow storm. The list of “really important - but I still find a reason to put it off until tomorrow” stuff to do keeps getting longer and the days in which I have to
keep putting it off are quickly passing me by. Because of this we are slowly decorating our house one day at a time.

Our tree was the first thing up. Ski went golfing one morning two weeks ago and the kids and I rearranged the room (several times) until finally I gave up put all the furniture back, moved the chair and ottoman over a little and set the tree up in the corner. It stood there bare and undecorated for the next three days.

It was Matt who took the initiative to put the lights on. Ski and Jacqui were at Ski’s baseball tournament, and Matt was grounded so we stayed home. In an effort to keep from being in his room he decided that it was his chance to earn some major points by “helping his Mommy.” Two hours later, he had pulled the lights out of the garage, plugged them into the wall to test them out and…

Ski put them up the next day.

If anyone knows my son, he is exceptionally skilled at wasting massive amounts of time. (Heaven forbid he makes eye contact with a TV.)



This is how is still sits in the corner of the living room. Rumor has it, some time today we are going to hang the ornaments. I'm not holding my breath.


We do have our Christmas lights hung outside though. (I won't mention the fact that we were the last of our neighbors to get them up!) I couldn't help but laugh as I watched Ski standing on that (practically stolen) latter in the middle of December hanging strings of Christmas lights wearing shorts and a T-shirt. It's just not like the Michigan Christmas's I remember as a kid where fathers all over the neighborhood balanced their latters on sheets of ice to decorate their house. I guess you just have to make due with what you have.


There is a song that the local Country station (KSON 97.3) plays that pretty much sums up Christmas in San Diego. Me, Ski and the kids turn it up really loud and sing at the top of our lungs every Christmas season when we hear it. It's one of our favorite Christmas songs and when we leave here it just won't be the same without it.

Here is a link to it: "It's Christmas once again in San Diego!"

Well a box of Christmas decorations just made it's way from the garage door behind me into the living room. I'm assuming it's because the fam is going to be hanging them - although the way things have been going lately, the box may sit in the living room as a coffee table for a few days until we actually open it. Baby steps! Lets cross our fingers!!!

No comments: