Thursday, January 17, 2008

Happy 11th Birthday Jacqu!

So I guess I never realized that with each birthday my kids have, it gets harder and harder to believe that they are a year older. I mean - I have an 11 year old for crying out loud!!

Eleven!

Next year she'll be in middle school!

I swear only 4 minutes ago I was laying in the delivery room giving birth to this tiny miracle while Navy Corpsman in Santa hats watched from a distance waiting to take her and clean her up. I remember thinking about how I wanted to suffocate that Corpsman with his little Santa hat if he told me "the pain was nothing compared to the next 18 years" one more time! Now, it's 11 years later and she's giving me driving directions to places I've been to a thousand times but still seem to get turned around! She's making fun of me for things that I say and do. She lets me know every chance she gets that I just reminded her of "Grandma!" (Shame, by the way! Shame!)

There are times when I think she is my carbon copy: that sassy mouth, the roll of her eyes! Yet there are other times when I think there are two people who couldn't be more different on this planet: her photographic memory that has our neighbors license plate number memorized while I couldn't tell you what my own license plate number is!

This year was the first year she has had an issue with her birthday also being on Christmas. She never really came out and told me what exactly she was upset about. All I could get was "It sucks" but by the end of the night she cheered up and said she had a great birthday!



Wow - eleven. I still can't believe it! I love you Jacqu!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I feel old and I don't even have kids... LOL!

Anonymous said...

Happy birthday Marla Hooch. You need to STOP getting go big.