Wednesday, February 18, 2009

And the tables turn on my biggest critic!!!

As fathers and husbands go - Ski is one of the best around. I couldn't ask for a more loving and caring man! He helps out around the house, he does all the yard work and takes out the trash. He cleans my car even though I'm the one that drives it. Being the most frugal man you will ever meet in your life, he still tries to get me whatever I want. He compliments me daily and calls just to say I love you! He treats my older children as if they are his own and there is not a father around that loves his little girl more then he does. (The list could go on and on but really, his ego doesn't need a bigger boost than that - trust me!)

But let the records show - when it comes to being sympathetic towards pregnancy, he leaves a lot to be desired.

Before he married me, he really hadn't had much experience with pregnant women. I mean, he went from living with his dad and Kathy in a town of approx 3000 people, to living with a bunch of Marines in the Barracks. Not too many opportunities to rub elbows with many pregnant women! However, after getting to know him and his personality, I realize that there is nothing that could have prepared my husband for the wonderful 4o weeks of pregnancy. He's more of a "You wanted to be pregnant so you shouldn't complain" type of person. I'm more of, well, the complete opposite! Especially when I can't breath or sleep or roll over or move because you better believe when this man is sick, we all hear him complain about it. Over and over again!! But, don't be too hard on him. Even though he may roll his eyes and make stupid comments sometimes, he still does everything he can to help me so I don't over do it!

That being said, I'm sure you can all imagine the huge smile on my face when he and I went to a baby class today and he got to wear the empathy belly. A 35 lb, lead filled belly that simulates some of the symptoms I go through on a daily basis. The weighted belly, the feeling of being off balance, the compressed breathing. It was a big fat "I told you so" wrapped up in a cute little simulated belly that, unfortunately, still had bigger boobs then I do at 8 months pregnant!

Below are some of the most priceless pictures I've ever taken...




I just wish he could feel what it was like to feel feet in your ribs and painful contractions but hey, I'll take what I can get.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Where can I get one for Chad?

Tina Birch said...

Too bad he doesn't have to wear one for the next few months....

redisgr8 said...

I bet that class was a blast! aww good for you guys always doing things together. I miss ya

Anonymous said...

Theres something women like a about a pickup...ummm errr.. Man who wears fake bellies??? It just wont make a good country song.

Anonymous said...

Phildo might as well get used to it that is what happens when you reach "50".

Noël and Bryan said...

Looking Good Ski... He has bigger boobs than I did too at 9 months... but the belly is about the same size!!! I love the shaved had, it adds something to the look! Love Ya, see you and baby ski in a month!

Ski said...

Babe your a great blogger! I had an awesome time with you at the class and I now know a little bit about what it is like to be pregnant from your view. Thanks for showing me the way!

Anonymous said...

Ski is so sweet. How long did he have to wear it? Just wondering. That is great!

Anonymous said...

You look like that you both had fun. It is great that they have these opportunities to let the husband experience just a little bit of what we go through. I think they should have to wear it for at the minimum of a full day. They could then feel how difficult it is to sleep especially if you sleep on your stomach.

Again, I love reading your blogs. I agree with Ski, you are a great blogger. Keep up the fantastic job. I am so excited to read about when you have the baby.

Teresa Kristek said...

Wow! I think that is awesome! But Mike always said he had it worse carrying over 100 lbs of gear in the desert while I was pregnant with Mikey...guess he's got me there. It's so great that Phil was so on board with trying to empathize with you :) Good job, Ski!